Egyptian Temple No.
Menelik Temple No. 36
Thutmose Temple No. 74
Muharram Temple No. 95
Sheik Temple No. 98
Isis Temple No. 102
Saphar Temple No. 117
Alcazar Temple No. 179
Alooma Temple No. 212
Meeting Date & Time: 1st Saturday @ 7:00 P.M.
Meeting Location: 5324 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90043
Mailing Address: 5324 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90043
Chartered as Cairo Temple No.
8, on October 11, 1893.
Renamed Egyptian Temple No. 5, on June 20, 1990.
Egyptian Temple No. 5 adopted
in Solemn Convention December 12, 1900, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Re-chartered
Egyptian Temple No. 5, August 22, 1917 A.D.
Illustrious Potentate – James A. Shaffer
Chief Rabban – Wilbur L. Nidever
Assistant Rabban – John N. Coleman
Imperial Potentate being J. M.
Morris, Oasis of Minneapolis, Desert of Minnesota
Imperial Recorder, L. Williams
Charter duplicated Egyptian Temple No. 5, August 22, 1920 A.D.
Illustrious Potentate – I. H. Layten
Chief Rabban – B. F. Warner
Assistant Rabban – D. H. Adams
Imperial Potentate being Caesar
R. Blake, Deputy Imperial Potentate, Richard Moore, Imperial Chief Rabban,
S. H. Franklin, Imperial Assistant Rabban, John H. Murhpy Jr., Imperial
Recorder, L. Williams
This Temple has produced two Past
Imperial Potentates, Roscoe C. Washington (1965 – 1967) and Roy
M. Moore (1990-1992)
Meeting Date & Time: 2nd Saturday @ 5:00 P.M.
Meeting Location: 925 30th Street, Oakland, CA 94608
Mailing Address: 925 30th Street, Oakland, CA 94608
Menelik 11, Emperor
of Abyssinia and King of Shoa, the land where he was born. He traces
his descent from Solomon and the Queen of Sheba. Italian aggression
on the Red Sea coast in 1885 menaced Abyssinia’s independence,
an din 1880 the Italians aimed to establish a protectorate over Abyssinia.
This was vigorously opposed by Menelik, who prepared for the inevitable.
The Italians under General Baratierri, invaded Menelik’s kingdom.
He met and severely defeated the Italians at Adow on March 1, 1896.
King Menelik then ordered the Italian army out of the country, bag,
baggage, arms and ammunition. No other modern army was so contemptuous
treated by a victor.
Ras Taffari Makonner, grand nephew
of Menelik was crowned King and Emperor in 1928. The name Menelik was
selected because of the great victory over the Italian army in 1896.
Menelik Temple was organized in
Oakland, California during the expansion period from 1901 to 1911, along
with 18 other Temples throughout the United States. Menelik was Chartered,
October 20, 1906. Henry P. Crabb was the 1st Illustrious Potentate.
Menelik Temple drew its members
from a 300 mile radius. Because of the traveling distance to and from
meetings, several Shrine Clubs were organized in Sacramento, San Francisco,
Fairfield, Fresno, Monterey, San Jose, Seaside. Many of these Shrine Clubs
became temples and are known today as Thutmose #74, Alcazar #179, Alooma
#212 and Saphar #117.
#36 has had two Deputy’s of the Desert:
Walter C. Taylor (1960)
Frank Butler (1978 – 1990)
Meeting Date & Time: 2nd. Saturday
@ 1:00 p.m.
Meeting Location: 111 Raymond Ave., San Francisco, CA 94134
Mailing Address: 111 Raymond Ave., San Francisco, CA 94134
In January of 1959, Past Potentate
Emmett L. Draper and several Nobles of Menelik Temple No. 36 who lived
and worked in San Francisco, thought it would be a good idea to have a
Shrine Temple in this City.
In August 1959, in response to
an inquiry from the Nobles of San Francisco, Noble Emmett L. Draper was
contacted by the Imperial Potentate, Booker T. Alexander, concerning the
forming of a Temple in San Francisco.
Several meetings were held with
the several Nobles who lived in San Francisco of which the paper work
to form a U.D. Temple was initiated. As a result of all these efforts,
the Imperial Potentate granted a Dispensation to the Nobles of San Francisco
to form a U.D. Temple in the Oasis of San Francisco, Desert of California.
On November 28, 1959, the first
meeting of Thutmose Temple No. 74 U.D. was held in the California Hall,
625 Polk Street, San Francisco, with Past Potentate Emmett L. Draper,
presiding. They were also Honored with the presence of Imperial Potentate
Booker T. Alexander, Imperial Deputy of the Desert Walter C. Taylor and
Imperial Deputy of the Oasis of Oakland, Burney Williams.
On August 18, 1960 in Boston,
Massachusetts, Thutmose Temple No. 74 under the Dispensation of having
given satisfactory evidence of fitness and stability to the Imperial Potentate,
the Imperial Council’s Committee on Charters and Dispensations concurred
with the Recommendations of the Imperial Potentate Booker T. Alexander
that they be granted a Charter, which was so granted August 19, 1960.
Illustrious Potentate – Ferninand Coyle Joseph
Chief Rabban – James Charley White Sr.
Assistant Rabban – John H. Wiley
Recorder – Norman I. Roberts
As a result of the initiative
and enthusiasm of Thutmose Temple No. 74, an invitation was extended to
the Imperial Council in session in Boston, Massachusetts in 1960, to hold
its 1965 Imperial Session in the Oasis of San Francisco, Desert of California.
The invitation was warmly received and acted upon, and found to be very
acceptable; of which Thutmose Temple No. 74 was granted the Imperial Session
for 1965. This was a great accomplishment for a Temple which had only
been in existence for less than a year.
Meeting Date & Time: 2nd Saturday @ 3:00 P.M.
Meeting Location: 1720 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90404
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 470084, Los Angeles, CA 90047
On June 18, 1960 Egyptian Temple
No. 5 of Los Angeles Created Forty-Three Novices for the purpose of forming
a Temple in Santa Monica, California. The Shrine Club having already been
organized by Noble John L. Thompson, who invited Noble Robert W. Brown
and Noble Rutherford N. Sanford to assist under the expert guidance of
Noble Vernon Strange, Imperial Organizer. The Shrine Temple made such
rapid progress to become a Temple, that a letter of Dispensation was granted
by Noble Booker T. Alexander, Imperial Potentate, to operate.
The first name selected was Al
Koran, it was latter found to be assigned to another Temple. Their founder
and organizer, Noble John L. Thompson, selected Muharram Temple. On October
14, 1961, Muharram Temple No. 95 was presented its Charter by Noble Walter
C. Taylor, Imperial Deputy of the Desert of California.
Illustrious Potentate – John L. Thompson
Chief Rabban – Robert W. Brown
Assistant – Rutherford N. Sanford
Recorder – William B. Lazenby
Meeting Date & Time: 4th Saturday @ 10:00 A.M.
Meeting Location: 2931 12th Street, Riverside, CA 92507
Mailing Address: 1734 Illinois Avenue, Riverside, CA 92507
Sheik Temple is an offspring of
Egyptian Temple No. 5, Los Angeles, California, Noble E. A. Ferguson was
the driving force in getting a Temple in Riverside, California.
In October 1960, the Shrine Club
was granted a Dispensation to establish a U.D. Temple. Imperial Potentate,
Noble Booker T. Alexander, named the Temple Sheik.
In October 1960, Sheik Temple
No. 98 held its first election.
Illustrious Potentate – E. A. Ferguson
Chief Rabban – John W. Lee
Assistant Rabban – Edmund Bereal
Recorder – James Jordan
June 1961, Sheik Temple held its
first Creation in which twenty-seven Novices were created. In attendance
were the Imperial Potentate, Booker T. Alexander, Imperial Assistant Rabban,
Roscoe C. Washington and Noble Vernon Strange, Imperial Organizer for
In August of 1961, the Illustrious
Potentate, E. A. Ferguson traveled to the Imperial Council in Cincinnati,
Ohio where the Imperial Potentate granted a Charter to Sheik Temple No.
98 and authorized Constitution Dedication.
In September 1961, the Imperial
Assistant Rabban, Roscoe C. Washington Constituted and Dedicated Sheik
Temple No. 98. Imperial Potentate Roscoe C. Washington visited the Oasis
of Riverside and donated several Thousand Dollars to Loma Linda Hospital
on behalf of Sheik Temple No. 98. Imperial Potentate Earl Gray visited
the Oasis of Riverside in January 1988. Noble E. A. Ferguson was the First
Potentate and Deputy of the Oasis at the same time.
Meeting Date & Time: 3rd Saturday @ 7:30 P.M.
Meeting Location: 3007 Logan Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 740968, San Diego, CA 92174-0968
Isis Temple No. 102 was initially
Chartered on August 4, 1921 at a time when the A.E.A.O.N.M.S. was steeped
in the throes of litigation’s, fighting for its very existence through
the Courts of this land. The Chartering on August 4, 1921 was under the
leadership of Imperial Potentate, Ceasar R. Blake, who aptly lead the
Nobility to victory in having the U.S. Supreme Court to sustain our rights
to be Shriners.
Illustrious Potentate – W. E. Cleveland
Chief Rabban – Clarence King
Assistant Rabban – E. F. Tunnel
Isis Temple No. 102 operated as
Constituent Temple in good standing under Imperial Council of the Ancient
Egyptian Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for over twenty years
until 1942. Then came the War! In August 1942, Isis Temple was suspended
for non-payment of Per Capita Tax. This however, was not a situation unique
to Isis Temple alone. With the United State deeply involved in World War
II, many of the Nobles were called to Arms. This certainly affected the
Nobility across the Imperial domain and many of the Temples across the
Imperial Domain were defunct or inactive as a direct result of World War
II and the absence of their Nobles.
Approximately one year after the
close of World War II, on July 6, 1946, Isis Temple No. 102 was reinstated
as a Constituent Temple in good standing under the A.E.A.O.N.M.S. of North
and South America and Jurisdiction, Inc. Reinstatement was effected under
the reign of the Imperial Potentate Raymond E. Jackson.
Isis Temple, hosted its first
Gala Day Celebration for the Desert of California during the period of
July 13-14, 1951.
In September 1990, Dr. Robert
J. Gerard, who was serving as Imperial Deputy of the Oasis of San Diego,
was appointed to the office of Imperial Deputy of the Desert of California.
He was the first Imperial Deputy of the Desert of California. He was the
first Imperial Deputy of the Desert ensuing from Temple No. 102. As Deputy
of the Desert, his innovative thinking and dynamic leadership approach
had far reaching effects throughout the Desert of California. On November
7, 1993, the Grandest Potentate saw fit to call his stalwart Noble Laborer
to rest, in that peaceful realm, and bid him Greetings.
In 1994, Isis Temple No. 102’s
Annual Talent and Scholarship Pageant was officially named by the Nobility
of the Temple as the Dr. Robert J. Gerard Talent and Scholarship Pageant.”
Meeting Date & Time: 3rd Saturday @ 2:00 P.M.
Meeting Location: 65 Fresno Street, Fresno, CA 93706
Mailing Address: 1621 W. Roseburg Avenue, Modesto, CA 95350
Like many of the Temples in Northern
California, Saphar Temple No. 117, Fresno originally began as a Shrine
Club. Its’ location in the middle of the State caused a four hour
drive for the Nobles to Oakland’s Temple, Menelik No. 36. We asked
permission of the Temple to form a Shrine Club, and in March of 1964 the
Fresno Shrine club was formed.
The membership consisted of Nobles
that lived in Fresno and belonged to Menelik Temple No. 36 in Oakland,
California. The Shrine Club was in operation until June 26, 1964. A Dispensation
was granted to establish the U.D. Temple in the San Joaquin Valley.
The Ceremony was graced with the
presence of the Imperial Potentate, Thomas Poag, Deputy Imperial Potentate,
Roscoe Washington, Imperial Recorder, Booker T. Alexander and the Imperial
Organizer, Noble Vernon Strange.
The territory of the Temple was
from Bakersfield in the South and Modesto in the North. During the Imperial
Council Session held in San Francisco, Saphar Temple No. 117 was Chartered
on August 20, 1965.
Illustrious Potentate – Joseph H. Dixon Jr.
Chief Rabban – Cecil Hinton
Recorder – Larry Cruz
Also during the Imperial Session,
Saphar Temple No. 117 received an award for the largest increase in membership
for Temple’s under 200 members. On April 2-3, 1996, Saphar Temple
No. 117 hosted Desert Conference at the Hacienda Motel, Clinton & Highway 99, Fresno, California.
Meeting Date & Time: 4th Friday @ 7:00 P.M.
Meeting Location: 3741 Altos Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95838
Mailing Address: 6580 Craighurst Drive, North Highlands, CA 95660
In August 1971, the Imperial
Council met in Houston, Texas at which time the Imperial Director of Region
No. 1, Robert W. Brown and Imperial Deputy of the Desert for the State
of California, W. Robinson were granted permission to start a Temple in
the Oasis of Sacramento California.
Alcazar Temple No. 179 was Instituted
November 6, 1971 and received its’ Dispensation to form a new Temple
from Imperial Potentate, William H. Howe. The Temple location was established
at 2440 Green Street, Sacramento, California.
Illustrious Potentate – James M. Dorsey
Chief Rabban – Douglas D. Parson
Assistant Rabban – Kenneth I. Lewis
Recorder – Charles Gains
Alcazar Temple was under the guidance
of Imperial Deputy of the Oasis, Menlik Temple No. 36 of Oakland, California
and Noble Boyce Parker.
Alcazar Temple No. 179 was Chartered
on August 21, 1972. Alcazar in the Arabic language means Castle. The Castles
of the Arab Nations are called Alcazars. The most famous of these Alcazars
is the Alhambra of Spain.
Meeting Date & Time: 2nd Friday @ 7:00 P.M.
Meeting Location: 625 Main Street, Suisun City, CA 94585
Mailing Address: 209 Midvale Drive, Vacaville, CA 95687
Alooma Temple No. 212 originally
began in 1978 as a Shrine Club organized under Alcazar Temple No. 179.
The original name was Alcazar Shrine Club. From 1978 until 1981, the membership
of the Shrine Club was composed primarily of members of Alcazar Temple
No. 179 who lived in the Tri-City area of Fairfield, Vacaville and Suisun
The newly elected President, Noble
George H. Garlington Jr., immediately announced that “As of this
Date (January 1981), the new goal of the Shrine Club will be to become
a U.D. Temple and then a Charted Temple as soon as possible.”
The Imperial Potentate said the
Shrine Club would have to provide an acceptable name for the new Temple.
He was advised the Shrine Club has voted to recommend the Temple be named “Alooma.” The origin and history of “Alooma was read
to the Imperial Potentate, who immediately approved the name.
Credit is given to Noble Frederick
B. Young Jr., for researching and presenting the name Alooma to the Shrine
Club. May 1981, 27 Novices were created at Gala Day. In June of 1981,
the Shrine Club officially became Alooma Temple No. 212 U.D. The dream
of Shrinedom in the Tri-City area finally became a reality. On August
16, 1982 at the 89th Annual Imperial Council Session in Denver, Colorado.
Potentate – George H. Garlington Jr.
Chief Rabban – Frederick B. Young Jr.
Assistant Rabban – James E. Morrisette
Recorder – Joseph E. Savoy